Dallas Quilt Show 2020
For more than 20 years, Saturday afternoon, the show has boasted the sounds of a live auction. Our annual Mini Quilt Auction gives quilt makers and quilt collectors a chance to give back to the local community. The Auction this year will be on Saturday, March 14 at 1:30 PM.
The beneficiary of the 2020 Miniature Quilt Auction is Life Restoration.
Life Restoration is a 501(c)(3) organization that is an educational program operating with the Department of Corrections in the State of Texas providing educational classes along with job skill training to build a bridge between those incarcerated and their community. Their goal is to prepare individuals spiritually, physically, and emotionally for re-entry into society. They have been honored to receive both the Governor’s Criminal Justice Volunteer Service Award in 2017 and the Texas Correction’s Association Star Award Recognizing Excellence in the Corrections Profession in 2018.
The project that the miniature auction will fund is the Moses Project, a program in existence for 4 years. While teaching manufacturing skills, the Moses Project seeks to build confidence, team work, and organizational skills. This project brings together men of all ethnicities, faiths, and backgrounds for a common goal to benefit the community. The men volunteer their time to produce beautiful quilts, fluffy bears, baby beds for newborns in need and chemo bags for women taking chemotherapy. It is the goal of the program for the year 2020 to provide 120 quilts for the Casa Child Advocates of Bridgeport along with 120 duffle bags and fluffy bears for each bag. They also plan to fill 120 Chemo Bags with a beautiful quilt for each chemo patient for a total of 120 bags. The funding from the 2020 miniature quilt auction will help restore humanity to participants, provide manufacturing skills, teach an appreciation for quilts, and benefit the community. For more information go to their website, www.myliferestoration.com.
How You Can Help
You can help to make the auction an exciting event by
- Donating one (or more!) of your quilted creations
- Purchasing one or more of the small works of quilted art at the live auction
- Encouraging friends and neighbors to bid
Create an original design, make a mini from your favorite pattern, or perhaps be inspired by the Show Chair’s Theme "Seeing Double"
Members of the Guild may turn in their donation forms and quilts at the general meetings or mail them to the auction chair. To be included in the live auction, the quilt should be received by Thursday, February 6, 2020.
The Quilter’s Guild of Dallas, Inc. is a non-profit organization so your donation to the Guild is tax-deductible. However, your deduction for quilt donation is typically limited to material costs only. In other words, you cannot deduct “fair market value.”
That said, following the auction, a receipt in the amount of the auctioned price of your donation will be mailed to you.
Rules & Guidelines
- Your quilt must represent a full-sized quilt. It need not be “to scale,” but must be scaled down.
- Maximum size for a finished miniature quilt will be 25” square (no one side of a quilt can be larger than 25”).
- Interior blocks can be no larger than 4”. Please note that exceptions are made for original designs, wholecloth, art quilts and medallion quilts.
- Designs using fusible products are acceptable, but raw edges of fabric must be appropriately secured; quilting stitches,satin-stitching, or embellishments are examples.
- DO NOT use fabric paint(s) and/or pens to simulate stitching or otherwise “shortcut” the quiltmaking process.
- A sleeve must be sewn to the top of the back of the quilt. The finished sleeve must be 2.5” wide by the width of the quilt.
- Attach a 2” x 3” muslin label to the lower corner on the back side of the quilt. Include your name, year made, name of quilt and any other appropriate information. Information should be stitched or written with a Pigma permanent pen.
- ALL donations for the live auction must be received by February 7, 2019.
- An entry form must accompany each submitted quilt. Please include as much information about your quilt as possible, to give the auctioneer “selling points” to use during the sale of your quilt. Feel free to attach an additional sheet of paper if needed.
Donations are welcome from all! You DO NOT have to be a member of the Quilter’s Guild of Dallas to donate a miniature to the Miniature Quilt Auction.
Download the Guidelines and Entry form here!